INFORMATION DESIGN - EXERCISE

7/1/2019 - 28/1/2019 (Week 1 - Week 4)
Ng Shu Zhi 0327158
Information Design - Exercises

LECTURES

Week 1 Tuesday

Week 1 Thursday



Week 2 Tuesday


Week 2 Thursday


INSTRUCTIONS


WORK

Week 1-Monday
For the first week of class we did an exercise to refresh our minds on After Effects. We had to choose a topic to make a short infographic video. I chose to do my dog because I knew my dog very well and since it was just a simple warm up, we couldn't spend a lot of time on just research.



Week 2 - Tuesday
For this class we were to count buttons to make data to share to make an infographic poster
My buttons arranged according to size, texture, hole amounts and colour.

My data collected at the end of the session

Week 2 - Monday
We learned how to make dynamic animation in After Effects where when we use numbers, they can change automatically. Then each group was assigned a topic to make an infographic video and my group got currency. I chose to convert Japanese Yen and Malaysian Ringgit because both silhouette's of the countries are easily recognisable.




Week 2 - Tuesday
(Submission)
From the earlier button data we put it all into one sharing google drive file so we can choose someone else's button data to go based off.

My infographic was targeted to teens to young adults aged so I kept a more simple design but since the topic was buttons, I felt that the nature of buttons itself has become part a 'cute' aesthetic so the colours used for the infographic was muted but still childlike.

(New task)
We were given a brief on the next exercise which is using L.A.T.C.H. to organise 4 pokemon characters.

The pokemon I've chosen consist of different evolutions, generations and types to make it easier to design and categorise my infographic

  Fire, Water


 Leaf and Dark/Fairy

Week 4


My completed pokemon infographic video

REFLECTION
Experience:
Week 1:
Monday
I came back to school and first day I already had to make a layout and animate it within an hour of class time, it was a casual experience as we could pick any topic we knew very well of and I chose to make my dog which I know very well. I love my dog. 
Tuesday
Then having to count buttons on Tuesday, still felt quite casual but fun to categorise buttons.

Week 2:
Monday
We learned about Dynamic numbers which was a cool experience because I didn't know After Effects was capable of so much more. Then we jumped the horizon and made the barchart move according to the dynamic numbers which was quite eye opening.
Tuesday
We got to pick 4 pokemon and make a quick 30 second infographic video about them and I got very excited because I'm very fond of pokemon.

Week 3: [Intercultural trip]

Week 4:
Tuesday
For this week we had to do research in the class and present it after an hour which was quite difficult because I'm bad at managing surprise plans. Then we worked on our recipe infographic for the rest of the class.

Observation:
Week 1:
I've organised my combined button data incorrectly 3 times and it took a lot of time to fix my data which was very frustrating.

Week 2:
After effects has the capabilities of doing many things that I've never thought of like dynamic numbers.

Week 3: [Intercultural trip]

Week 4:
I am very bad at surprise flip topics, it was difficult to conjure up tangible words to present without making the presentation repetitive.

Findings:
Week 1:
It is very hard to combine data without consulting or having a consistent format. It was also quite hard to make accurate charts for an infographic. It was also important to test different hierarchies of presenting information in an infographic because I've tried to sketch a quick sample replica of my information but with different hierarchy arrangements and it saved me the trouble of redoing my charts if I did them wrong. I also learned that we can do a lot more in After Effects that I thought like making loading screens and adding glow. I thought After Effects was like a photoshop but where you can move something in an image for it.

Week 2:
Learning about Dynamic numbers was quite a good experience. Also learning about the lasso tool which connects Dynamic number movement and a bar chart was really useful as well because it can be used for so many videos like measuring time and progress together.

Week 3: [Intercultural trip]

Week 4:
I was pleasantly surprised to find out we can put more puns into our final project narration to make it more interesting. I put more personality into the voice over now. After consultations with Ms Anis on my poster, there's was an odd feeling that the background felt very empty but after I thickened the flow line, the background looked fine already which taught me that I don't have to add motifs in a background to make an infographic seem complete.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VISUAL NARRATIVE AND ILLUSTRATION - FINAL PROJECT

INTERCULTURAL DESIGN

INTERACTIVE DESIGN - EXERCISES