DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND DIGITAL IMAGING - PROJECT 1


DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING- PROJECT 1
15/5/2018 - 28/5/2018 week 8 - week 10
Ng Shu Zhi (0327158)
Digital photography and imaging - project 1 - Recomposition of Jacek Yerka's Surrealistic work

LECTURES
Week 8: We were given our first assignment which was to recreate a Jacek Yerka's painting into photoshop using realistic items so we could make a surrealism image.Outcomes of the lecture:
- How to blend in everything seamlessly using lights and shadow
- How to piece together different items in photoshop

Week 9: We learned how to use perspective and puppet warp to change the perspective of an item. Most preferably an angular item for perspective warp but for puppet warp can also be used to do a more detailed warp

Week 10: We were given the time to continue our 1st project in class and raise any questions we had to the teacher. Then we were given a lecture on even more different types of lighting in the photo studio. This time we covered, split light, rembrandt light and butterfly lighting.

Week 11: We took pictures of each individual item we need for our exercise on week 13.

WORK
Finding an image to recompose
This is the Jacek Yerka piece I chose to recompose. It seemed like a good challenge to me so I took it.

This is the product for my project 1 piece
The progress gif of my work for the final project. Even before piecing together the final piece, I had to piece together the castle first on a separate photoshop canvas then just link it into the final product.









These were the images I used for building the castle
the grassy land  used for the grass
the tress I used 
I searched for dry soil for the ground texture
this was the image used for the mountains by the back
The image used for the teacup




We were also to only use non destructive methods to making our piece s here are some screenshots of my layers while making the final piece.

REFLECTION

Experience
At first I thought the image I picked would be something easy to do as when I looked at it I just thought "Oh I just piece together the castle and do some displacement, colour correcting and I'm done." but then later even though those parts were easier to handle, this piece is very time consuming as there are many things that have to be pieced together like the castle. The castle actually took much longer time than the finished piece itself as I had to figure out how to piece everything together and have all the colours match each other and the image and also to have everything blend together to look realistic enough.
Observations 
Piecing together the castle was much difficult than piecing together the scenery. It took longer time and also my shadows and lighting weren't enough to have the castle parts blend in together to look realistic.

Findings
I found that composing something in Photoshop isn't very difficult but just very time consuming, Small details are also important in making something look realistic in Photoshop and lights and shadows are very important in blending in different pieces together. It is also okay to use more than one layer to have a good enough shadow and having a tablet can speed things up faster.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VISUAL NARRATIVE AND ILLUSTRATION - FINAL PROJECT

INTERCULTURAL DESIGN

INTERACTIVE DESIGN - EXERCISES